28 September 2011

It's a Boy!


As in, for once I painted a boy!

In some ways it's a portrait of my son, but I feel kind of funny claiming that it actually is, since I didn't start out to paint him and I only used a reference photo of him once I decided it kind of looked like him. I actually painted this picture because I wanted a chance to paint a nose. Weird, I know.

In any case, this went through heavy changes from the original stages, but I quite like where it went. I started out with very rosy colors and dark blues and then it changed to this more or less monochromatic piece.

My son was born in the wintertime, so, once I decided this kind of looked like him, making it a sort of winter scene seemed a great way to make the portrait a little more interesting. It was my first time painting smoke, which took some figuring out, but I'm happy with the result.

No comments: