06 August 2011

Emma: personal character

Here was a "quickie" - it took me maybe 5-6 hours total and was done all in one day. That's quite enough staring at a screen for one day, but I thought I would post it and then perhaps take a break.


Again, Blogger has effectively destroyed the finer parts of this image. So click to see it like it really should look.

She is a character from one of my books. Her name is Emma and she eventually becomes queen at the end of the book. Unfortunately, there is lots of nasty stuff on the way to that moment, which is why I decided to paint her looking a bit sad.

I like the colors, but like I said before, red is my favorite color, so I'm probably really biased. Still, I like the way her face kind of grows out of the red. This was also my first time painting black hair, so be kind. In the end I included lots of red reflections to give me something to work with. This is a little more stylized than I generally work, but I like the way it turned out.

No comments: